All students who express an interest in majoring in either the atmospheric sciences or computer science will be considered for an ACES scholarship. To ensure consideration for an ACES scholarship, please complete the following steps:
- Complete and submit an application to UNC Asheville. Students must designate either Atmosphere Sciences or Computer Science as the major of interest on the application to be considered for an ACES scholarship.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and enter the UNC Asheville routing code 002907. For the earliest consideration, please complete this step by February 15 of each application cycle.
Student Selection Process
The application process is designed to recruit top graduating high school seniors and to select college scholars from among students who have chosen to transfer to UNC Asheville. Complete applications from graduating high school and transfer students must be received by February 15 for full consideration. Applications will be considered only for students accepted at the university who have completed the FAFSA form and are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, nationals, or refugees. The ACES Scholarship Selection Committee will review and rank the applications based on the review criteria listed below. Scholarships will be awarded to the highest-ranked applicants with demonstrated financial need, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid.
The number of scholarships awarded will correspond with the number of ACES scholars designated for each group of peers called a Lateral Learning Community (LLC), allowing for the replacement of previous ACES scholars who no longer meet the criteria to maintain scholarship funding. Scholarship amounts will be based on each student's individual financial need and the total number of scholarship dollars available to the LLC.
Scholarship recipients will be notified with a congratulatory letter by the last week of April. The letter for high school applicants will include information about the LLC, freshman year student support, and summer freshman orientation. The letter for transfer student applicants will include information about the LLC, relevant transfer student support programs, and summer transfer orientation.
The ACES Scholarship Selection Committee will evaluate applications based on the following listed categories. Reviewers will be instructed to consider special circumstances to establish a LLC of high-quality, motivated and promising students that maintains or increases the Atmospheric and Computer Sciences Departments' high level of female and underrepresented minority students:
- High school academic performance, including high school GPA, high school biology, chemistry, physics, and math grades, class rank, and SAT score
- College or university academic performance (if applicable), including GPA and grades in science and math courses
- Letter of recommendation, which will be evaluated for aptitude, seriousness as a student, and motivation for a future in a STEM discipline
- Essay answering the question "Why study atmospheric or computer sciences?" The essay will be evaluated for organization, motivation for STEM education, desire to major in atmospheric or computer science, and communication skills.